Reports to: Head of Programs, Africa
Position type: Full-time, Permanent, National or International employee
Language requirements: Fluent French & English (Essential)
Application deadline: January 8th, 2023, 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time
Salary range: CA$60,000 – CA$77,000 per annum
À PROPOS DE CUSO INTERNATIONAL
Cuso International est une organisation canadienne à but non lucratif dont l’objectif est de mettre fin à la pauvreté et aux inégalités. Nous travaillons sur les questions de développement les plus importantes d’aujourd’hui en connectant les communautés mondiales dans le besoin avec les compétences dont elles ont besoin pour créer un changement durable. Et nous le faisons depuis 60 ans. Comment ? Par l’éducation, l’autonomisation et un environnement favorable. Nos volontaires et employés qualifiés travaillent avec des centaines de partenaires locaux dans le monde entier pour faire progresser l’égalité des sexes, enrichir la vie des femmes et des filles et améliorer les opportunités économiques des communautés vulnérables et marginalisées.
Cuso is a people-centred organization that prioritizes working in partnership with local organizations. Cuso presently supports programs implemented in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Canada.
ABOUT THE ROLE
After 60 years, Cuso has embarked on a process of renewal. In an era of rapidly changing contexts for international cooperation, Cuso is looking for a Country Representative with an ambition for contributing to advance human rights, reduce inequality and create both economic and social opportunities for marginalized groups. In the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Cuso is running the SHARE project to improve the economic and social well-being of the poorest and most marginalized, especially women and girls (2020-2027); and the TALENTS PLURIELS (TP) project to support the development of safe, inclusive and equitable economic growth for vulnerable youth, especially young women and LGBTQ2I youth, in Kinshasa, Bukavu and Lubumbashi (2021-2025). Within the framework of TP, Cuso works on three pillars: 1° improving the skills of vulnerable young people, entrepreneurs and job seekers; 2° developing more inclusive human resource management strategies and policies; 3° informing and sensitizing community members on diversity and social inclusion issues.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Cuso is looking for a leader driven by passion and principle to advance human progress in all its forms, including social justice, human rights, gender equality, environmental sustainability and economic development. A person who has learned firsthand the opportunities and challenges of the development sector to contribute to a better world through their work with communities, civil society, governments and the private sector; in particular through program design, innovation and partnerships. The ideal candidate has a deep knowledge of the complexities of international cooperation matters and a professional track record of entrepreneurship in a career that has shown success in roles of progressively greater responsibilities. She or he or they love a challenge, are highly self-aware and derive their energy from effective teamwork. As the Country Representative you will be responsible for the design, development, implementation and successful delivery of Cuso International’s country program in DRC. Our current programming focus is gender equality and women and girls’ empowerment, economic opportunities for the youth, and climate change. Your role includes program delivery and compliance, ensuring clear administrative, financial and operational management, managing existing partnerships and volunteers, developing innovative strategies, new projects and partnerships that are aligned with Cuso International’s Strategic Plan and mobilizing additional resources to scale-up and maximize Cuso International’s impact in DRC. You will also be an inspirational leader for the staff and international volunteers assigned to the country program.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
- Lead the design and development of new programs in coordination with the Head of Programs, Africa and the Program Development Team in Ottawa and mobilize additional resources to scale-up and maximize Cuso International’s impact in DRC.
- Lead the start-up of new programs, including the design of project implementation plans, managing negotiations with implementing partners, developing project budgets and building project teams.
- Lead the implementation of Cuso International’s program in DRC, while maintaining an in-depth understanding of the development context in the country and the region.
- Maintain and develop a strong portfolio of local partners fostering collaboration on development interventions in line with Cuso International’s strategic and operational plans.
- Build and maintain relationships through regional or local networks, alliances, forums or events and promote Cuso International’s programs with donors, partners, government officials or other relevant agencies.
- Ensure strong administrative, financial and operational management of the country office in line with National laws and policies as well as those of Cuso International.
- Promote a culture of impact and knowledge sharing within the country program office (CPO), with other country teams and working in close collaboration with the Impact and Knowledge Management Team (HQ) to ensure that the (CPO) complies with Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) reporting requirements, including the drafting of annual reports.
- Manage the integration process of international volunteers placed in DRC and ensure that volunteer support and monitoring systems are in place.
- Foster a positive, fair and participatory work environment for staff and volunteers, motivating them to actively participate towards achieving Cuso International’s goals.
- Ensure that Cuso International’s performance management culture is understood and respected within the team and that each staff receives adequate feedback and support to promote successful performance and high levels of employee engagement.
- Ensure the CPO follows all Cuso International policies, procedures and processes.
- Fulfill other responsibilities, as required by the Head of Programs, Africa, from time to time.
- University Degree in a relevant field (International Development, Administration and/or Finance), preferably at Master’s degree level.
- At least 5 years of experience in a leadership role with experience managing small to medium sized teams.
- A proven track record managing finance, administration and operations at a country level with multi-donor budgets larger than $9M USD.
- At least 5 years of experience in designing, planning, launching, managing, monitoring and implementing development programs and projects, of which at least 3 years of experience working at the community level.
- Well-developed experience with annual work planning as well as budget management and financial reporting.
- A proven track record of resource mobilization for international programming.
- Experience working with Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and/or other development agencies
- Strong knowledge of program and project management cycles.
- A deep understanding of gender, climate change and economic development programming.
- Significant knowledge of MEAL systems and frameworks.
- Strong knowledge of the development context in the West African region.
Capacities, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent understanding of the results-based management, including tools and applications.
- Strong understanding of the administrative and political system within the DRC, especially for INGOs.
- Proven commitment to advancement of gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment.
- Willingness to take initiative, network and build connections in order to grow the program.
- Strong ability to coach, mentor and motivate team members.
- Ability to make decisions and take initiative, as part of managing a complex and varied workload.
- Excellent strategic thinking and analytical abilities.
- Excellent cross-cultural interpersonal skills, including the ability to negotiate and develop internal and external relationships.
- Fluency in written and verbal communication skills in English and French.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook, and web-based research.
- Willingness and ability to travel within DRC and periodically internationally.
- Ability to work irregular hours and overtime occasionally to meet critical deadlines.
- Experience working in DRC, specifically in the humanitarian and development contexts.
- Experience working as a volunteer, with volunteers and/or with a volunteer-sending organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Cuso is committed to creating and fostering an inclusive culture. We strive to actively celebrate diversity, advance our equitable practices, and drive greater inclusion. We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package and insurance, generous days of paid time off, including vacation and sick days, and more.
Cuso International is committed to the integrity of our volunteers, interns, staff, managers, board members and subcontractors in preventing sexual violence in the way we operate. This is done through a defined framework, code of conduct, values and guiding principles, as well as Cooperation Canada’s Leaders’ Pledge.
Please click the « Apply for This Job » button to submit your application by January 8th, 2023, at 11:59PM (EST). Expressions of interest should be sent in English. Your résumé and one-page cover letter should demonstrate how you meet all the essential and any desirable qualifications. Please note that a confirmation email will be generated once you submit your application, but it may be directed to your spam or junk folders of your email inbox.
Cuso is an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations will be provided at any stages of the hiring process upon request. Thank you for your interest in Cuso.