Médecins Sans Frontières est une organisation médico-humanitaire internationale indépendante, qui porte assistance aux populations en détresse, aux victimes de catastrophes naturelles ou d’origine humaine et aux victimes de conflits armés, sans discrimination et sans distinction de race, de religion, de croyance ou d’appartenance politique.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POST
The general objective of the position is to disseminate and implement the logistic operational orientations and all the policies and standards defined by the Logistics Department. Ensure the alignment of the Logistics Dept. policies and standards with those of other departments represented in Cell, and that result is appropriate with the context of the mission. Ensure the quality of the programmes as well as the respect for MSF humanitarian principles in the missions managed by the cell, through technical supervision, follow-up and advice. Additionally, due to the challenging context in terms of security, this position will be highly involved in support missions and RECO on the security management.
The TELOCO reports hierarchically to the Head of the Cell 2 (RECO 2) and functionally to the Head of Operational Logistics.
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES AND TASKS
1. Provide strategic and technical support to field teams
- Leads the definition of the logistic strategy in missions within portfolio, ensuring it´s alignment with both Operations and Logistics Dept’s objectives.
- Collaborate with and give technical advice to the teams in the field in all phases of the project cycle for regular, exploratory, and emergency missions.
- Support missions with logistics advice when drafting the annual planning of the projects, in close collaboration with the rest of the members of his/her cell and the support of the Logistics department.
- Provide logistical technical support to the assigned portfolio, taking into account operational orientations and the input from support services.
- Support emergencies when needed, to ensure effectiveness of our response.
- Contributes to periodic reviews of the operational objectives in portfolio missions, redefinition and implementation of new logistic orientations and objectives.
2. Supervise and support implementation of policies and plans
- Ensure that the Organisation’s Logistical and ITC principles, guidelines, and policies are implemented, as well as the recommendations mentioned in the different logistical evaluations. Identify report on and defend situations in which their implementation is not viable or may hinder the achievement of operational objectives.
- Contribute to implementation of the annual operational plan in the projects within portfolio, according to Logistical and ITC policies.
3. Ensure appropriate procurement, monitoring and management of logistical resources
- Transmit missions’ logistical resources requirements to LogOps, making sure they are pertinent, to ensure appropriate procurement of resources to missions.
- Monitor the supply chain management in the field together with the Logistics Coordinator and ensure they are aligned to OCBA supply policies and strategies.
- Ensure that emergency stocks in the missions are consistent with the EPP (Emergency Preparedness Plan) jointly with Technical Referents.
4. Follow up projects and support reporting
- Ensure timely and accurate logistical reporting is submitted by missions to analyse the fulfilment of operational and logistics objectives, and feed LogOps’ monitoring and analyses.
- Follow up, jointly with the Technical Referents, the logistical content of the projects through field visits and technical reports.
5. Participate in security management
- Ensure the proper follow up of the implementation of the security guidelines and plans by the missions in the necessary time frame. As well as the preparation of the critical incidents simulations.
- Ensure that logistics adjustments are coherent with the Security Guidelines in the mission.
- Sparring & contrasting with RECO and/or deputy RECO on security management and the consequences on applied practical security measures.
- Contribute in the overall cell strategic security: Analysis, decision making.
- Part of Crisis management: contribute in setting up the CMT, support field for setting up IMT.
6. Participate in HR processes and training
- Collaborate with the REHUCO in reviewing and approving descriptions of field positions, based on job profiles.
- Collaborate with HR in the assignment of field positions.
- Participate in the support and give input on the development of LogCos when required.
- Carry out technical briefings and debriefings of logistics professionals in his/her cell, involving Technical Referents when needed, and identify individual training needs.
- Ensure that logistical teams receive technical and methodological information through briefings, specific sessions, coordinators’ weeks, technical publications, etc.
- Participate in internal and (exceptionally) external courses/information sessions imparted by MSFE/OCBA in agreement with his/her corresponding RECO.
7. Contribute to his/her Operational Cell
- Be globally acquainted with all the projects of the Operational Cell as well as the following up their evolution.
- Represent the Cell during field visits.
- Actively participate in decision-making processes within his/her Cell (even operational aspects).
- Manage the communication channels with the teams in the field and /or the Logistics Department, for issues that affect assigned portfolio.
- Consult support services for sparring and as technical content providers when needed.
- Participate in the logistics on-call process in HQ.
- Ensure that knowledge management policies are implemented at his/her level of responsibility
- Participate in the accountability transversal processes at his/her level of responsibility.
Expériences / Formation
Education and experience
- Minimum three years of field experience with MSF and/or other NGOs within the humanitarian field in coordination positions, ideally as Logistic Coordinator and/or Field Coordinator.
- Strong experience in security management.
- Degree in Engineering will be an asset.
- Knowledge of the humanitarian context and projects; specially in Sahel will be a strong asset.
- Fluent in French and English.
- IT knowledge as advanced user.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Security Awareness and Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Availability to travel frequently and on short notice to the field.
- Flexibility with working hours.
- Based in Dakar.
- Full-time job.
- Minimum commitment of 3 years.
- Salary: the monthly net salary for a single person without children is estimated between 2,382,604 XOF and 2,874,338 XOF depending on the experience (not negotiable). This estimation based on the Senegalese legislation is only indicative and not contractual.
- Other secondary benefits (including housing allowance) based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: August 2022.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter: https://careers.msf-applications.org/job-invite/6626/
Closing date: July 17th, 2022, 23:59 CET (Central European Time)
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontières, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.